Incase you missed the infamous GV alum Josie Goldberg’s presentation this past Friday she gave us the run down of a day in the life at Weiden + Kennedy, a world renown advertising firm out of Portland, Oregon.
More specifically she addressed her experiences with advertising for the Super Bowl and the “behind the scenes” in the War room- Super exciting stuff!
Josie is truly an inspiration to all of us. She spent her time at Grand Valley staying involved as a member of the Ad club, PRSSA, GrandPR and she started her own advertising firm… Superwomen, I know. I could talk forever about her but I’ll get down to business. Here are my main takeaways from her presentation last Friday:
1. The most successful social media is active social media.
2. Social creates deeper connection with consumers.
3. The AD/PR/Marketing world is small, take advantage of every networking opportunity, you never know who thinks you rock and wants to offer you a job someday.
4. Get involved; you only do your undergrad once, if you’re looking at this your already one step ahead of the game. Join the Ad club, PRSSA, AMA, HTM and any other organizations you see fit to help you stay involved. Even if you don’t think so, it matters and employers like to see you have a life outside of binge watching Netflix on the weekends (we all know you do it).
5. Every client has a problem; otherwise our majors/ jobs would be obsolete. Even if the problem is not clear, don’t be afraid to get creative.
6. Don’t force it- go with your gut, the simpler the better.
7. Always have a contingency plan, play it safe and think of everything that COULD go wrong- its not being paranoid its being prepared.
8. Lastly, love thy neighbor; your intern may one day be your client.
I gained a lot of insight through Josie’s presentation, Hopefully you all can take a little nuggets of wealth out of this recap that will help you and all your future endeavors!
Last order of business, Incase you missed internships this week here they are again:
1. Grand Rapids Metrology- email Richard.email@example.com
2. Cat Brand Ambassador- email Lindsey.ryskamp_IC@wwwinc.com
3. J & L Marketing, Inc. – Promotions Coordinators – email firstname.lastname@example.org